Originally Posted by Judman
I don’t have near the Turkey experience as you folks, after reading about the pixy dust I bought a couple box’s of 3” # 9 12 gauge. My shot was 20 yards or so, absolutely smashed him. Sure about anything would’ve worked at that range. 😅

After callin a big Tom in and watching him attack the dekes, I dunno why someone would wanna shoot one 60-90 yards, the fun of the hunt wouldn’t be there, that’s for sure.

Those that choose to shoot beyond 35/40 yards, are more interested in killing a bird than in the experience of getting a strutting, gobbling tom into halitosis range and making a single, absolute shot.....or not!

I love the heft of a bird across my shoulder on the walk back to the truck......but a camera with several shots of a strutting bird is pretty awesome too!

I can't remember how many turkeys I've cleaned that had #5's or #4's stuck in the back of their legs!
Some idiot's desperation attempt to kill a bird that was way out of range!
It only takes one pellet to the brain or CNS to anchor a turkey. I shoot #8's for a thicker pattern. Turkey bones ain't steel.

https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/16/beyond-the-patterning-board-x-rays-of-shot-turkey-headnecks/

Last edited by martinstrummer; 05/03/22.