This is not hunting, or target shooting at known distances, or shooting steel gongs. It's shooting small creatures on the ground at all different distances. A big one standing would be about as tall as size 11 shoe and they come in different sizes. We used 6-20's 40yrs ago because that was the deal back then and they worked. But Leupold tracking wasn't very reliable back then. Scopes are much better now and more power is always better. My centerfires have scopes that go to 24x or up to 32x and that's not too much. Don't have to always use it but you can't use it if you don't have it, and it does get used every time out. Looking at just a head sticking out of a mound, or some part of creature between bushes, or something way out theree, nice to have optical horsepower and zoom in for a good look. And glassing for a target, then finding it in the scope, I wouldn't even mess with a fixed power scope. Anyone who says a 6 or 10 power fixed is the way to go, has never done this and just doesn't know.

****Addition****. You asked about which scopes to get and mentioned $500 as the limit. There are a bunch of good ones for that, I've bought some that were either used or on closeout sale. But today if I were buying new and wanted optical quality and tracking precision, I'd get the Bushnell Match Pro 6-24 with unlit reticle for $449 direct from Bushnell (the only way they're sold), I have one and it's just excellent. The Athlon 6-24 model that comes in at less than 500 has real good glass and tracking. The Arken 6-24 is top quality but has a 34mm tube which is a drawback for me. Stay away from the lower end Vortex scopes, lower quality optically but a great warranty which they need because of (from what I've read) a terrible reputation for reliability. My opinions on this stuff.

Last edited by Ackman; 05/06/22. Reason: addition