Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by pete53
i think Jack O`Connors said it best : Winchester Model 70 ,the riflesman rifle .

You do realize that a crescent wrench, even if its made by snap-on isn't the only tool in the box don't you?

so i guess you never have owned or used a model 70 pre64 ?? > get back to me when you have been on a real hunt in the mountains ride`n a horse or mule with one simple rifle in a 30-06 or 270 Winchester Model 70 pre64 in the cold snow elk season in bear country ,that`s when you need a rifle you can have faith with and that rifle will still get the job done when your life may depend on. that`s no place for 6.5 Creedmoor Henry lever rifle.

I like Mauser actions and Model 70’s too but for a long hike off trail it’d be hard to beat what’s probably the most cloned action in use today some sort of Remington 700 variant.

i took 2 - 338 Win. mags up in the mountains its cold 4 inches of snow on the ground and snowed and rained 4 days, leaving a tent camp with grizzly bear warning signs riding up on mule, 1st day in the saddle on that mule the Remington S.S. 338 Win. mag. in the scrabbard top was open raining and snowing nasty weather got up on top of that mountain , momma grizzly - 2 cubs run out 60 ft. from me , mule is screaming ,i pull the Rem.700 out of scabbard just in case , good bears they run away , i check rifle after taking ammo out , the firing pin in bolt is froze up solid by moisture other 2 laugh until they check their Rem. 700`s their rifles are froze up too. so we get a fire going and unthraw these rifle bolts . next day a bring the old Wnchester model 70 pre64 338 in the scabbard with open scabbard again same nasty weather, the other 2 guys using only their Rem. 700`s froze up again until they put a garbage bag over those 700`s but the Win. model 70 pre 64 never did the rest of that week in a open scabbard.that`s why i use a Winchester model 70 pre 64 or a Ruger #1 these 2 actions have not failed me in any weather conditions so far. but the Model 70 is my work horse in the mountains always or maybe a Weatherby Mark 5 action would be another type action rifle i would take in a scabbard ? never again for me a Rem. 700 in the scabbard in the mountains.

Last edited by pete53; 05/06/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman