My brother has been seeing a couple coyotes at his place, one of which has been regularly crossing his yard within a half hour of dark and sometimes again in the early AM. Unfortunately he is in a Rimfire only area and he owns only a 22LR and 17hmr as far as rimfires go. I sent him a box of 20gr CCI Gamepoints and a box of cci 40 gr Velocitors to sight his rifles with vs the 17gr Vmax and minimags he has.

He does NOT want to buy another rimfire and it will be at least a few weeks until I can get to his place to loan him a 22 Mag loaded with 40gr Gamepoints...a load I have killed several coyotes with out to 125. I dont need to hear opinions that neither are enough gun etc etc as I am aware its not the ideal choice BUT its the best he has so thats what hes gonna use if a shot presents.

He is not going to hunt them, just shoot if one is in the yard. Longest shot would be right around 60 yds.

Which rifle would you use in this situation, the 17 with 20gr Gamepoints or the 22lr with the velocitors?

Also those who have actually used either on a yote, how did they perform?