It's been 40 years since shooting varsity 3-position smallbore in college (Anschutz 1413) but I would go the whole season without using bore solvent and wet patch. After a practice session, or after a 120 shot-for-score in-season match, I would use a dry bronze bore brush, which had modified threads. I filed the threads down so they wouldn't thread into the female end of the coated cleaning rod. I always pushed the dry bore brush forward. I did not pull it back through the bore. I didn't want to put any wear on the crown. The reduced diameter/filed down bore brush male threaded section was easy to just pull off as it exited the muzzle. I pulled back the bare rod and mounted the dry bore brush on it, and pushed it forward again. I did this 5 times.

Then I ran a dry patch down the bore on a pointed jag (not slotted, and not pulled back) . I did this 5 times.

I used to do the "wet bore brush/solvented soaked patch cleaning regime", but I got tired of having to get the bore to "recondition" after the big wet cleaning. The dry brush/patch system gave a predictable cold bore first shot that got me into full practice or match mode right away.

I would wipe the outside of the barrel/action with a light oil when the rifle was put away after practice or a match, and a lightly oiled patch on the rear lug faces, and bolt body for lubrication

Again, that was 40 years ago. It served me well back then, but I have no idea what the recommended cleaning process is used today.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."