I got to shoot my "new" 99 the other day. I bore sighted it at home the day before. And that paid off, as the sights setting was off by quite a bit. The gun shoots great! Had it zeroed in after 8-10 shots. With the irons, and my bad eyes, I was able to get 2", 3 shot groups at 65 yd. Not the best, but hey, my eyes can only do so much. That, and my intended purpose for this rifle is 6"-10" steel plates from 30 to 70 yd. Perfect. Now, I just gotta develop a nice, slightly reduced, lead bullet load.
One other thing that did come up, when shooting from the bench, off bags, the fore stock (takedown model) came off a few times. Not thinking too much about it, I took a few off hand shots to see what I could do with it. Forgetting about the fore stock falling off, on the first shot (I hold all my rifles with my support hand on the bottom of the receiver and my elbow tucked into my hip, a' la CMP high power shooting hold) and the stock fell right off...onto the gravel bedding I was standing on! Dang it!! A few new scratches and dents on the old girl. Anyway, is this common? When I got home, I took apart the take down button and wove into the spring, a second spring. I had to trim that second spring a few times, but now it is much more difficult to take the fore stock off, but it does still do so. Hopefully, that will take care of that problem. Any other ideas? What else should I be looking for?
Thanks.