Guys:

I've been trying to find the answer to this question but haven't had much luck. For those of you who are Mauser and Winchester 'smiths, what's the difference between these two bolts that makes the M1909 bolt handle, vs. the M70, extremely difficult to lift when the cocking piece is in the "fired" position? Here's the background.

I have a few M70s, one Zastava M98, and a couple of rifles built on M1909 Mauser actions. In the fired position, with the rifle still at my shoulder, I can easily cycle the bolts on the Winchesters and Zastava, but on both M1909s I almost have to take the rifle off my shoulder to raise the bolt handle. Once the handle is raised the bolt cycles normally (i.e., easily and smoothly). Neither of the Argentines show any evidence of lug setback (both have been examined), and it doesn't happen only on fired rounds: the very same thing happens when practicing with snap-caps. Any idea why the bolts on the Argentines are far more difficult to raise after having "fired" them than the M70s? I'm thinking it may have something to do with the firing pin springs, but I'm not gunsmith.

Any help in figuring it out is appreciated.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown