Originally Posted by FarmHand78
Originally Posted by 160user
I never quite thought of it like that but yes. I would love to know the back story on the original owner. Why that caliber? And why leave it in the box and never fire it?

It would be awesome to know the back story on that one, or most any gun for that matter. I’ve got a couple I know the story on, one is a heck of a good campfire story!

~Nathan
Judging from the amount of NIB or like NIB examples of firearms that turn up from that era I have a theory.

Back in the 50s-60s hunting and fishing were an “in” thing for a well rounded guy to do. So some Joe gets a casual invite from some guys at the office to head up to the big woods for deer camp. He buys a Field and Stream and studies up a little and heads down to his local hardware or sporting goods store and buys a red flannel cruiser jacket and a rifle. Time for the deer hunt rolls around and something comes up and he doesn’t end up going, so he stuffs his rifle in the closet before losing interest.

This theory is based upon my knowing where a pair of S&W M19s with 12 rounds each through them from when some guys were going to take up “target shooting” and went once for about 10 minutes reside. Plus my Grandad’s photo album and stories of guys who were invited and came to camp one year and never returned. Plus a few that I’ve bought from widows or old gentlemen over the years that were either unused or shot once.