I purchased a old run down farm last year and fences were in bad shape. Where I put in cattle I repaired or put in new fence. There was an old hayfield that the former owner bought part of several years ago. He just put in a temporary electric fence between the two parcels. Two doctors bought the land on the other side of the fence and they contacted me last winter and said the were going to put in livestock. No problem, we split the cost of a survey and divided the property line.

Two months ago I took out all the the electric fence and a few weeks ago a fencing crew called me for permission to access the field from my property. Sure. Shortly after I went to see how they were doing and found out they were putting in 6 strands of barbed wire. I told the crew boss I won't be putting in the same, only the legal requirement. Two days later, I got a call from the doctor's lawyer insisting I put in the same fence to keep their cows in and my cows out. I told him to look up the Wisconsin statutes on fencing requirements and let his client know I am not required to put in 6 strands of barbed wire. That wasn't good enough, I guess, as the lawyer called the next day to set up a meeting with the doctors in his office. No, but will meet with the doctors on the land with Township fence viewers.

The lawyer contacted the local Town Chairman and the subject was put on the agenda for next Town Meeting. I was notified of the fence viewers date and time. Fence viewers showed up at my farm, but no doctors. Fencing crew boss did. It was too muddy to go up the hill road with trucks so I hooked a John Deere on to a hay wagon and away we went. The fence viewers looked it over and said I am not required to install a 6 strand barbed wire fence, but would I be willing to do so if I was compensated for the extra expense. Sure, provided the fencing crew the doctors hired sold me the material to put in at their cost, plus a $100 from the doctors for extra labor.

Here is snapshot of what I put in.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime