Originally Posted by Azshooter
Rimfire artist,

Liked what you had to say on pellet penetration and shotgun shooting in general. Liked the explanation on non plated lead shot setback and fliers.

One comment had me grinning: "very few people who do not shoot at least 20K sporting clays targets every year are good wing shots"

I have several friends and myself that are excellent wing shots and we don't shoot at clays at all. I suppose one could say "well you don't have pheasants in Az so this is different". We do have several species of doves, pigeons and three species of quail and all are much faster than pheasants.

I have been shooting game birds for over 40 years and I do quite well for a guy who doesn't shoot clay birds.

AZ, note that I did not say "none," I said "very few." It is not that shooting clays is better practice for birds than shooting birds is -- it isn't nearly as good. But very few people have access to the number of wild birds, and the time to chase them, necessary to become a good shot on them. Their only option for becoming a good shot is to shoot a lot of clays (but you certainly don't have to shoot 20,000 EVERY year.)

The best wild-bird wingshot I ever saw almost never shot a clay. However, he has fired an awful lot of shells at game birds in his lifetime. The guy shooting birds for a week or two each year (and few clays) will never even get close to being that good.