Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
That sucks. Hate hearing it.

That's why around 1998 we purchased a bunch of them 870's and each team leader carried one and the other team members carried a can of spray. Elmendorf and ft rich didn't like us carrying loaded shotguns but we got away with alot.
I've had the Ft Rich bowhunting permit (moose) a couple of times and I was able to carry, I simply had to register my handgun with the MP's. I wouldn't go in any of those areas without a weapon myself which is why I stopped putting in for the Elmendorf moose bow hunt tag, you aren't allowed to carry anything other than your bow (not sure about bear spray) and there are quite a few brown bears on JBER.

According to the ADN, the soldier was not alone and was with 2 other soldiers, one who was injured by the bear and it sounds like they may have surprised the bear near it's den.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/mil...-injures-another-in-remote-part-of-jber/

I had the archery moose tag in 2020 and hunted TA412 near where this attack occurred. I got about as close to the dump as you could at one point and backed out. I carried bear spray each time I hunted. I did not see a moose in this area, but did see some bear sign for sure.