Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Boise
I went with the stainless steel screen mainly due to my issue with pine needles. They work great to keep out debris but I have an issue with the screens freezing over given the right weather condition. The company that made my guards was aware of the issue and make a broom that you drag across and clear the snow. The ice doesn't last long if exposed to sunlight. For how seldom my screens freeze over I don't see it as an issue. I didn't broom them a single time this season. I also installed mine myself and it was a very easy process once I got my tools all lined out.

The screen I added was taken out with a severe hail storm, it also took out my roof. The screen did not fail, there were not collapse, it was dented and my insurance company wanted to change it along with the roof. I insisted on stainless mess replacement.

"The ice doesn't last long if exposed to sunlight." Do you have any north-facing roof?

Northwest facing roof and that's the one with the icing problem. Once I clear the snow off, the gutters will clear enough for runoff from the roof. And of course, it stays all froze up until a thaw. Clearing off the snow allow the gutter ice to thaw first.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein