Right now my pack is fully packed including food for a 3-night recreational trip. I will be following the creek so no need to carry water. The pack weighs 21#. No fishing gear as I will be occupied by other efforts.

I like to hunt Coues deer in southern Arizona. Temps are mild. The hike in is about 3 miles and there's no water along the way. Although there is water near camp. So I only carry about half a Nalgene jug. We usually carry only three nights food. It's so close that if we need more we will just go get it out of the truck. When I add field dressing gear, range finder, binoculars, extra ammo, my pack weighs about 27#. Plus a 9# rifle.

I hunt elk in the West Elk Wilderness during Colorado's 3rd rifle season. It's common to get some snow and occasionally we can get a couple of feet. We can also get temps in the 60s. The hike in is about 5 miles with more ups than downs. Water is convenient to camp but there is none along the way, so I carry a full quart. We dress warm to start then carry some extra cold weather clothing. I carry four nights food, a 10#, 4-season tent and a warmer sleeping bag. My pack weighs about 34#, plus 10# rifle.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.