Well... no last minute bird... or first minute bird either! Lol! Heard gobbling, saw birds out in fields, but nothing in front of me. One morning I slipped into a meadow in one corner of my property extra early and was set up by 4:30 at the base of my favorite apple tree. There's a well used roosting area about 100 yards from the meadow and a lot of times birds fly down into the meadow and then peck their way out to the fields beyond. As the woods began to wake up, I was hoping to hear some gobbling from the roosting area. Did hear gobbling to the West and South of me, but nothing from where I was hoping to hear it. Then I started hearing hen's making tree yelps from the roosting area and thought, okay, just a matter of time now. Still nothing! Then, a loud putt right behind me as the tom dropped to the ground out of a tree within 50 feet of me and walked straight away from me keeping the tree between us. About 80 yards away, and out of sight, he started gobbling. Oh well, the best laid plans... That pretty much sums up the hunt, birds close, but nothing in front of me. Another time I snuck up to a field edge that had a bunch of birds in it, both toms and hens. They were pecking their way someplace and were maybe 150 yards out in the field. No strutting by the toms, no response at all to any of my calling, just pecking and walking.

After a couple days of nothing, I walked the property to see if any morels had started to pop up as the weather had gotten pretty warm. No morels either at the time, but I did find a turkey nest, so I slipped back out of the area hoping I didn't disturb the hen too much.

It's always nice to get out into the woods on a hunt, but I still haven't found a recipe that I like for tag soup! Haha!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And I found a booner of a shed, had to put a 3" 20 gauge shell next to it to show its size!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 05/17/22. Reason: add pictures

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member