Originally Posted by keith
I found that with the new guys on bedding, there is no such thing as common sense, everything is brand new. Many of these guys, I was trying to help over the phone, also.

Agreed, Keith.

As you know from your experience doing many successful bedding projects over the years, much of the stuff that really matters is subtle, hard to describe, is often a 'feel' type of thing and doesn't always lend itself well to pictures. If the basics are correct, it's truly the details that make the difference.

A good example of this is the dial indicator test I use on a completed bedding job. I helped a shooter a couple weeks ago 'long distance' work through this with a gun he had just had built by a big name shop that also did the bedding job. It was tossing shots and generally not responding to load or bullet changes...just sort of stuck in the 5/8's range for three shot groups. I walked him through the dial indicator test and he reported that there was absolutely z-e-r-o wiggle on the indicator. Since there's always going to be a couple thou. of wiggle on a stress free job, I suspected the action was bound up in the stock. This proved to be correct and he needed a rubber hammer to get the action out of the stock.

After exchanging texts and pics over a couple day period, the problem area in the recoil lug mortise was identified and I walked him through correcting it.

The gun now shoots solid and repeatable 3/8's three shot groups...which I consider pretty outstanding for a 7 lb. 'all up' 308W hunting rig with a lower power variable shot from the bench with a bipod and a rear bag and hunting grade bullets.

He was a good student, wanted to learn and is confident enough to do his own bedding work from this point forward. That's what I find rewarding about the sharing of information. smile

Good shootin', Keith! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner