Originally Posted by Muffin
It is a disease.

There is no cure.
It can only be mitigated by buying more.

smile

definitely been the case for me, for 40+ years...i like the light weight of carbines, and enjoy working with assorted calibers; so they have become a favorite for hunting. Currently have barrels by SSK, Match Grade Machine, Bullberry, Dave Van Horn, T/C custom shop, Ingram, and some regular production stuff also. Pretty much all have shot quite well, and plenty have been exceptional.

The listed barrel makers will build you about anything you can think of as far as length, contour, caliber & chambering (within reason of course); 223 & 30/30 would be a nice combo. If you like playing with wildcats, there is a whole pile of chambering options...could always go with the ackley improved versions of both as well, if that is of interest. Most of the makers will offer varying twist rates as well, and will usually give you the option of throating to a specific length if you send them a dummy round.

If you get a chance to handle some, you may find you have a personal preference for balance in going bull vs tapered contour; with lightweight synthetic stocks i do like the lighter tapered profile. My 30/30 is a 20" MGM tapered stainless, though a 30/30 ackley fluted bull gets packed around too, as well as a bunch of oddball calibers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

============================================================