Hello. A bit of background...I have been hunting with a Winchester 243 with a Leopold VX2 and a Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage with a Marbles peep for many years (20+). Unfortunately, my eyes are going south, and I find myself using the 243 most of the time now. The Savage is very accurate, but I can't see through the peep in low light. Most of my deer are taken very early in the am, or late in the pm. I can not longer see through the peep in low light.

I have never wanted to scope up the Savage, but I don't want to leave in the safe this fall. She is not tapped, but we have a great gunsmith in town, and I feel it's time. My son's are not into the classics, so I have no legacy to consider. I'd like to keep the classic look (dad had a 250 with a Weaver 4), but I need to gather light. I do not need a high power, just good light gathering capability.

Can you please recommend a combination (base and scope) that will at least attempt to keep the classic look, but help be keep her in the woods. I'd like to be less than $600 (not counting my gunsmiths expertise).

Thank you.

Mike
Pensacola, FL