Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by joken2
You get to use no road taxed diesel and also claim fuel cost as farm expense?

I am qualified to use off road fuel and get the state tax deleted from any diesel I use off road.

Any fuel expenses related to agriculture use are sent to my accountant for whatever he does with that amount on annual returns, yes.

BUT.... I don't use off road diesel in anything. My transfer diesel tank is on the back of my pickup, and that's where I fuel my equipment from. But not only my equipment, but my pickup itself. I've had long trips, and other times where I simply fill my pickup up from the transfer tank. If I ran red diesel in my transfer tank I couldn't do that.

Well, I COULD do it, but that red dye stays in your pickup tank for a LONG time, and if caught, the state will fine you like $5k per occurrence. And they are the ones who calculate how many times you've done that... crazy

You'd rather get caught robbing the bank than having red diesel in a vehicle you drive on the road. wink

I understand, and thanks for the reply...

Cousin of mine keeps off road diesel he uses in storage tanks on his farm. Last I heard him say was he was going to go with a PTO generator so as to take advantage of the tax savings. His personal pickup trucks are always diesels, too, but he uses road taxed diesel in them for the same reason as you. There's two gas stations that sell diesel less than a mile of his home and farm.