Originally Posted by ironbender
I’ve always had lockback folding edc knives. Recently got an R2D2 with liner lock. The lock is awkward in my fat-fingered hands. Is there an advantage to liner locks I’m missing?

ironbender;
Good afternoon to you my northern friend, I hope that the day's been behaving for you and you're all well.

Like most older fellows, I started with various cheaper back lock knives, finally getting a Buck 110 for hunting and then a Buck Lite which was my "pucker cutter" - I'm a corer not a pelvis splitter. wink

While I liked fixed knives, somehow I ended up packing folders, especially on horseback, where as you know sometimes one lands where one didn't intend to. Well I surely did.

Anyways by then I was into a series of early Spyderco knives all of which had back locks.

When I got my first liner lock it was a flipper which is something I still like on any EDC blades. The biggest advantage I see other than they're very quick to get out and in use with one hand is that if used for gutting, some of the more open designs such as the Buck Vantage Pro are way, way easier to clean.

I will note that I don't use assisted openers or ball bearing equipped openers for gutting duty as they're too much of a pain to clean.

But if it's a teflon thrust washer sort of liner lock, then it's simple to clean and if it's required to take it right apart that's easily done as well.

Hopefully that makes sense?

All the best to you all up there my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"