Lucky enough to have three of this caliber... all Military Mausers... a Cz 24, a German built Mauser and a Turkish one...
two with 29 inch barrels and one with the 24 inch barrel ( the CZ)..

I've tried a couple of different bullets with them... but the bullet that turned out to be the sleeper, and is the ONE bullet I buy regularly
is the good ol Speer 170 grain SMP...it opens up at low velocity.. and hangs tough at higher velocity....

I have no desire to go to Africa... in fact for the same reasons I have no real desires to even go to Oakland....but for anything I've taken the 8 x 57 o the hunt.. it just plain works.... especially with that Speer Bullet.... I've used their 200 grain bullet also... and it does a good job.. but I just really like that 170 SMP....

Last deer that one of mine, I had taken out one of my Senior Boy Scouts who had just earned his Eagle Scout rank. He is like 6 ft 4 at 17 y/o..

We were hunting at woods ranges.. what I call 30/30 range.... load used for him was just 30 grains of 4198....he took a large blacktail, at about 75 yds... when hit in the vitals, the deer did a button hook run or many 20 yrds and was down for the count....about 160 lbs on the hoof IIRC...

it was his first deer... he wanted me to let him buy the Mauser.... I wasn't wanting to let it go.... but did look and find him one that I got for a couple of hundred bills in very nice shape... complete with Bayonet on it...a 17 yr old boy just loved that...He doesn't take the bayonet out hunting...
but he sure loves to show his friends or take a picture with the rifle and that Bayonet on it...This one was a Turkish made Mauser also...

I just love these old Mauser action rifles.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez