Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by hanco
I killed a Copperhead last week on the front porch

I would too

the Gopher's are use full for eating rodents

But first glance it looks like a rattler

Bastarrds will climb trees & search out bird's nests for eggs/babies

No 2nd chances for rattlers in my yard

You mean like this? (couple years back now, but gets the point across)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A friend of mine has a photo of a rat snake climbing the brick wall of his house. It zig zagged up the courses of the bricks like it was nothing.

When I was a teenager my brothers and cousins and I were shooting the bull with all of us leaning on the hood of my uncle’s truck being cool. It was parked under a huge oak tree by the driveway.

Then…PLOP! Right on the hood drops about a 3’ long green snake. 🐍 Everybody’s first reaction was to jump back but then I grabbed it. I kept it for a couple of weeks and then let it go.
It had climbed up the trunk that had no limbs for probably 20’.

Had what I now believe was a big corn snake climb up a brick porch support once years ago. Porch support was tapered and was hollow at the very top which birds used to nest inside. Wife and kids were sitting on porch swing when I got home from work, wife told me they'd been watching a big 'lizard' stick it's head out every once in a while up at the top of porch support. I got a flashlight and climbed up to see and found out it wasn't a lizard but a big, fat snake coiled up inside the hollow bird nesting spot I assume waiting to snatch a bird meal.

All I could see was it had a patterned skin, not sure whether poisonous or not and snake was reluctant to leave of it's own free will, so I got a long handled meat fork, and commenced to stabbing and rolling it up around fork tines until I had enough control of it to sling it up and out into the yard. I had injured it pretty bad with the meat fork so I went ahead and finished it off.

A elderly farmer neighbor I hired to bush-hog a side lot on our place told me after he finished that he had seen countless black snakes over his lifetime but saw the biggest black snake he'd ever seen in his entire life while bush hogging our side lot. I got a quick glimpse of it once and found it's shed skins several times.