My dogs are avoidance trained and get the vaccine every year. They are good at telling me when any snake is on our property. We rarely see one while bird hunting. Regardless of all the precautions a dog can still get bitten. After 35 years with dogs one had it happen a few years ago. Read story near bottom.

I posted some of this once before:

My friend who I occasionally bird hunt with is a professional snake avoidance trainer. His approach exposes the dog to sound, smell and sight. It is done over several hours with other dogs present.

After initial contact he will set up scenes where a snake is placed in the open, or hidden in various places in a outdoor environment. Walking through a scent cone or hearing the snake as well as sighting one is done multiple times for each dog. A shock is given when the dog recognizes the presence of the snake.

As I mentioned before, training, and the vaccine is pretty much all you can do. A dog can still get bitten.

Two years ago my younger dog, Oli, was hit in his hind foot. Both dogs were running through an area. I figure the first dog alerted the snake and Oli was unfortunate to have followed in the same tracks . The fang marks were 1 1/2" apart! Big western diamondback!!

He was taken to vet within 2 hours and it took 2 vials of anti-venom to stop the reaction. He has a small scar part way up leg with no hair but otherwise he is fine. Vet said the vaccine helped as it could have been worse.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]