Tim Hrenchir
Topeka Capital-Journal

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Allison Fluke-Ekren
Hours after former Topekan Allison Fluke-Ekren pleaded guilty to a federal terrorism charge, a former teacher of hers said Tuesday he still felt puzzled as to how she ended up leading an all-female group of ISIS fighters.

"I'd just like to know what happened," said Larry Miller. "I don't suppose I ever will."

Fluke-Ekren, 42, pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiring to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema set sentencing for Oct. 25, when she faces 20 years in prison.

Miller taught from 1991 to 2001 at Topeka Collegiate School, where Fluke-Ekren took classes from him in seventh and eighth grades, between 1992 and 1994.

She then attended Topeka High School until 1997, according to THS yearbooks.

Fluke-Ekren went by her maiden name of Allison Brooks in those days. She went on to become a schoolteacher.

Fluke-Ekren moved to Egypt in 2008 with her second husband, a now-deceased former member of the terrorist organization Ansar al-Sharia, according to prosecutors.

Fluke-Ekren and her second husband moved in 2012 to Syria, where he became a leader of Islamic State snipers, according to prosecutors. In mid-2014, Fluke-Ekren told a government witness about plans to bomb a U.S. shopping mall or college, according to prosecutors.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
In mid-2016, Fluke-Ekren led and organized an effort to establish a Women’s Center in Raqqa, Syria. The center provided medical services, educational services about the Islamic State, childcare, and various training to women and young girls.

As the center’s leader, Fluke-Ekren also provided and assisted other female ISIS members in providing training to numerous women and young girls on the use of automatic firing AK-47 assault rifles, grenades and explosive suicide belts, according to prosecutors.

In late 2016, the ISIS “Wali” of Raqqa approved the creation of the “Khatiba Nusaybah” — a military battalion to be comprised solely of female ISIS members.

Witnesses said the battalion also provided certain members with instruction on physical training ­including martial arts, medical training and religious classes, and how to pack and prep a travel bag with rifles and other military supplies, according to prosecutors.