Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
How do you take a 40 oz wood stock off say a Model 70 LA, replace it with a 24 oz stock and get it to not be extremely nose heavy without taking about 10 oz off the barrel?

Great question. Sometimes you end up with a nose heavy POS. That is something to avoid. It's about finding the perfect balance I guess. That makes it so much nicer when packing around in the woods...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You do realize that some factory stocks are a bit too heavy. Like say a pound or more sometimes, right???
I had an 8 1/2 pound rifle, it balanced fine but was 1/2 pound heavier than I wanted. I put a graphite stock on it to get to 8 lbs (which I did) and now it actually feels heavier because it is front heavy. At the moment, I'm getting the barrel contour reduced by .060" to partially restore the balance.

Yeah, that sucks. A lot of the times a featherweight model is better to work with in that regard. In the picture above, the brown painted stock is a factory tupperware stock. I much prefer those to most wood stocks. I had a bad experience once with a 30-06 classic sporter when I put it in a Bansner. The rifle felt top heavy as hell and I hated it. Ended up selling the Bansner and putting the tupperware stock back on it. That rifle was actually one of my favorite rifles. Set up very similarly to my new $500 7mm rem mag in the tupperware stock shown above. I also tried putting my pre 64 375H&H in a lighter stock. What a mistake!! Then when putting it in a Mcmillan swirly, which is not light by any means at all, all was much better. Even though the rifle was heavier, it packed much better because you were not fighting it because it was properly balanced:

My best suggestion is, if a rifle feels great in the hands, don't F it up over 1/2 pound. It's generally not worth it. Now, in the case of my new Brown PoundR, I knew that was going to be a perfect match for my model 70 because I already have one on a 338wm. Those are damned near perfect for me. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA