It has long been a dream of mine to get a chance to hunt moose. A hunt in Alaska and Canada weren’t in the cards so I figured I’d try my hand in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. $25ish a year to apply for each (when they were accepting applications) seemed fair.

I knew it was going to be a long shot, but - as a Buddy occasionally reminds me - you miss every shot you don’t take. I had five points heading into this year for both Maine and New Hampshire thinking I was years, if not a lifetime, away from being drawn. I was wrong.

I feel very blessed and fortunate to say I was drawn for a Zone 2 Antlered tag for the first October hunt (October 10-15).

With that said - I’m definitely behind the 8-ball. I certainly didn’t expect to actually be drawn yet, so I have loads of homework over the next 3.5ish months. I am really looking forward to it!

A couple questions I wanted to ask:
(1) DIY vs. Guide - If DIY, my “scouting” will likely be limited to a couple days prior to the hunt window. The DIY seems more appealing to me, from an experience perspective. Getting out with a few buddies and hunting extremely hard at something none of us have done before seems quite the trip. On the counter argument - I’d obviously love to fill this likely once in a lifetime permit. Any suggestions on guides to potentially look into for Zone 2?

(2) Any Maine residents, or members who have hunted moose in Maine, willing to lend me a little bit of time to talk about hunting in Maine? I’m familiarizing myself with rules, studying OnX, and starting to go all in on this hunt, but I could certainly use some advice and guidance. It is starting to be pretty obvious that this won’t be like hunting in PA for whitetail!