1st time posting here, or anywhere for that matter. I recently picked up what looks to be a ca 1912 JP sauer and sohn Mauser commercial sporter in 8x57 (unsure on chambering)from a gun show(booth of a local gunsmith). (J(i) or S) bore is TBD, waiting for my smith (a different one than the seller) to slug/cast the barrel/chamber. So in the mean time I’m posting to try to get a better handle on what I’ve got, it’s value, and ideas on what to do with it. Figuring out how to post pictures on here, but for the moment I’ll list a description and the markings I’ve found.

Action appears to be a large ring Mauser(caveat: just started learning about mausers last week). Serial # on right side of the front ring on receiver and underside of barrel, 193xxx. Left side has 2,5gG.B.P. over St.m.G. Underside of receiver has serial #543xx. Matching(double stamped with last three and last two of both serial #s) on all receiver parts. A very nice double set trigger. Guessing 7lb and 1 -1/2lb. Lever floor plate release. Bolt has different number, extractor claw has another number. Stock appears to be a military stock (not original sporter stock) that’s been sporterized, steel butt plate matches bolt number. No tenon hole in forend, but barrel channel has been inletted for the tenon mortise. Barrel is half octagon round, fully ribbed, ramped front sight (no hood) and the front face is stamped “sxs”. Rib has crosshatch/knurling, with “JP SAUER AND SOHN, SUHL”. Barrel base has “GUSS STAHL KRUPP ESSEN”. Barrel and receiver have large crown next to crown over N. Barrel also stamped clearly “7.8 mm”. Also has JP sauer “wild man”.
Manlicher (?) butterknife style bolt handle. Two single claw scope mounts - one on rear bridge, one in dovetail on barrel with a caming lever. Curious of mfr and if rings exist for this mounting system. express sights, one standing with folding leaf.

Inferring from other posts, both serial numbers point to 1912, as best I can tell? Original stock and bolt were lost, combined with bolt and stock of a Gew98 or K98, maybe, but it’s a GI bring back because there’s no import mark for country of origin?

Any idea on value? I paid 600$ for it.

I have ~1k rounds of 8x57, which most if not all, is S(I’m assuming this). Most of it is yugo M75 sniper surplus. I bought this rifle to shoot through that ammo. If this rifle turns out to be .318”, i can’t shoot the modern surplus ammo out of it right? I told the seller I had S ammo, and he swore I would be able to shoot it in this rifle.

My problem is now I’m in love with sporter commercial mausers with ribbed half octagon barrels, DSTs, and lever floor plates. Most seem to go for 2k$+

Thanks in advance for the chance to get more information on this!

Edited: added links below to photo gallery - not sure if this is the right way to link the image gallery to this thread, but figured I’d try it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...es/17351653/sappsquatch-jp-sauer-sporter

Last edited by Sappsquatch; 06/20/22. Reason: Added link to photos thread