Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Teal
Either way - the NRA is "combat ineffective" and doesn't deserve support at this point.

That's a great way of stating the futility of relying on NRA endorsements, and funding the NRA. The NRA needs to withdraw from politics and concentrate on shooting matches, hunting programs, and gun training/safety seminars.
I couldn’t agree more.

Let GOA and others deal with the real lobbying. The NRA would do best by its members to get rid of the cheap Chinese trinkets and focus on the one thing that it’s always done pretty well, sanctioned shooting matches, supporting local gun clubs, self defenses classes, youth hunting programs ect.

Say the NRA dropped the politics and focused on the other - how much support would they receive? I bet their funding would drop by 1/2 or more.

I've yet to meet someone who supported the NRA because of the "other" - 100% gave them money to fight politicians, not to do the camps/matches, magazines or training etc. I'd contend an NRA match only has cache because of their political work. They drop the political work and WGAF if it's NRA sanctioned or not - some other sanctioning body would do just fine. All my competitive shooting was shotguns. Sporting Clays and trap - I don't remember an "NRA Sporting Clays Tournament" - that is sanctioned by them and record keeping by them. It was all NSCA, ATA, FITASC etc. NRA as a sanctioning body didn't matter in the least - I would bet the same would happen if that's all they had.

I mean - I know of no one who seeks out an instructor because they're NRA qualified - they seek out good people who happen to have it but it's not the deciding factor for it.
Agreed.

I get all of that from a practical standpoint. My post above was more of an ideal situation the role that the NRA would be best suited for scenario and going back more to there roots. Realistically it wouldn’t work for the reasons that you outlined.