I don't get to hunt waterfowl very often, once every five or six years. When I have gone in the past I let my guide buy my shells for me. I am fairly competent with upland birds, turkey and skeet shooting. I know what I like in lead shot shells but I am not knowledgable when it comes to steel. I will be going on a duck and goose hunt soon. My host has a huntng club, we will be hunting over decoys from a blind. I expect closer shots than I usually get pass shooting or hunting the large rice fields.<p>I've been told that a lot of hunters like # 1 steel for large ducks and geese over the blocks. ??? I don't have enough experience to know what works best and what doesn't.<p>I have two shot guns I might take. A Remington 870 Express, 3 inch 12 gauge with choke tubes and a Ruger Red Label with 3 inch chamber, 26 inch barells choked Improved cyl. and Mod. I think I will take the 870. Last time I used the Ruger in the rice fields it beat my shoulder into hamburger. I shoot 2 oz. loads in the 870 for turkey and though I would not want to take that much recoil in a duck blind, the 870 is not as hard on me as the Ruger is with heavy loads.<p>What loads would you use in my situation? I saw the recomendation for 1 3/8 oz 3 inch loads. Is the # 1 shot the way to go here? What velocity do I want for these shells? 1200 fps, 1300? what seams to be the magic number? I don't know if I can stand 35 to 40 dollars per box of shells. What are those things loaded with, gold?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775