Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by HawkI
Eddy Arnold gets defaulted because he was a New Yorker that found a way to make money without the ability to be Frank Sinatra or a pop flavor of the time.

To his credit, some of the softer voices that followed (like Ray Price) were just doing what Eddy already had done.

You’re wrong about Eddie Arnold.
Arnold was born on May 15, 1918, on a farm near Henderson, Tennessee. His father, a sharecropper, played the fiddle, while his mother played guitar. Arnold's father died when he was just 11, forcing him to leave school and begin helping on the family farm. This led to him later gaining his nickname, the Tennessee Plowboy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Arnold

And Ray Price was also a farm boy. Born on a farm in E TX.
Most folks don’t know that Ray Price was Hank Williams roommate when he died. He and Hank Sr roomed together in Nashville when Hank & Audrie divorced. He also managed and sang with Hank’s Drifting Cowboys Band for a few years after Hank died

Both were two of the smoothest voices ever in Country Music. I got to meet Ray Price when I was a small child of 6 or 7. He even let me hold his guitar. And showed me a chord on it.
Heck of a nice guy, too.

Eddy spent most of his formative time beating on the doors of RCA records for a contract, which wasn't located in Tennessee, as evidenced by the music he put out from the late 40's and thereafter....as a crooner like Frank Sinatra, who he shared a label with.

FWIW, Donny Young, aka Johnny Paycheck, Willie Nelson and Roger Miller were in Ray Price's Drifting Cowboys.