A week and a half ago I picked up a new Yamaha Kodak 700 EPS. It is my first ATV. Two days later I was up in the mountains by myself and rolled it over myself trying to back up on a steep hill. Nothing broken but I have soft tissue crush injuries on my leg, arm and shoulder. I also have some nerve damage that will hopefully resolve itself.

But for the grace of God I’m not still up on the mountain. I didn’t tell my wife where I was riding, and I found out after the accident that there was no cell coverage. Thank goodness I was wearing a helmet, since it is now scratched/gouged. I have now also purchased chest, back, shoulder and elbow armor. Good riding boots are next. I thought the gear would be too expensive after shelling out for the Kodak, but guess what—Dr. bills are significantly more expensive, and they are still mounting.

As for the ATV, it took me an hour to dig it out of the hole it dug itself into. After the roll it landed right side up and drove into a tree and pegged the thumb throttle because of bent handlebars. At least I was able to dig it out and ride it out because I wouldn’t have been able to walk out. This has been a very expensive lesson.