In June I flew on SA Airlink from Botswana to Jberg, connected on the Delta flight to USA. I was able to get the SA Airlink person to check my bags/rifle case all the way through to final destination in USA, so no need to obtain bags/rifle case in Jberg.

I don't think you can get rifles cleared through to US, because they need to be "cleared out of South Africa" and South Africa wants written documentation showing rifle came in to country/same rifle left the country.

Since I was not sure if I would be able to check bags thru to US until I got to check in counter, I contacted Rifle Permits VIP service to meet me in Jberg. If my bag/rifle case had not been checked through, they would have dealt with situation.
Delta counter only opens 3 hours before departure, so if you arrive in Jberg more than 3 hours before your Delta departure the rifle case needs special handling. Very reasonable service.

Used same VIP service this year from Port Elizabeth to Jberg, connecting to Botswana (rifle case could not be checked through to Botswana). Rifle Service employee met us on the tarmac; drove us to terminal; 1st in line to get bags; took us to SA airlink rifle clearance; then walked us to SA Airlink ticket counter to check in and to SA Airlink rifle check in. Also walked us to boarding gate. Well worth the money. Great peace of mind to know someone will walk you through entire bureaucracy.

Last edited by autofire; 07/03/22.