Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sure wish Springfield had not given all that money to anti-gun politicians and thrown gun owners under the bus...

Didn't really happen like that.

A lobbyist primarily representing SA and RRA cut a deal for immunity for manufacturers on a new Illinois law aimed at dealers in return for the lobbyist's non opposition to the law.

Reece (SA) and Larson (RRA) had their noses rubbed pretty hard into the fact that they were responsible for lobbyists operating on their behalf. The law passed the legislative process, but was vetoed by the governor. SA and RRA dismantled the lobbyist entity.
Today, I'd put Reece in the top running for financial and political support of Illinois gun rights. I've heard that he is one of the largest single financial backers of the ISRA. Dealers who took everything made by SA off the shelves and returned it to distributors are now proudly and profitably selling SA again.

I don't know Dennis Reece, and have never met him that I recall. Did do some business with his father, who started the company, and always felt like I was dealing with a solid guy. From what I hear, the company existed from before I did business with the old man. I don't know about that. What I remember is an old farmhouse filled with surplus rifles.

Never hard as much about or from Larson of RRA. Got the impression that she and they were lesser players in the deal.

Anyway, I don't know exactly how lobbyist dealings go. I guess I imagine it to be kind of like having teenage kids that can do some rough things to the family name. Coupla times I wished i coulda dismantled a kid.

Sounds like feel-good stuff, but from their beginning they co-opted the history of the real Springfield Armory to look like they were/are part of it, paid anti-2A politicians to do positive things which they never did, and sold out to those politicians to not fight over 2A limits in exchange for a tax break.

I sold off my SA (a Range Officer 1911) and RRA (ARs and a couple older pistols) guns and refuse to own them. My Range Officer had very little time on it and a poster got it this winter for $600... I am not ever going to forgive or forget. There are too many other choices. A Les Baer replaced the Springfield.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.