Originally Posted by SC_Mark
Hey y’all I’m new here and this will be my first deer season. I’ve hunted hogs on occasion but my family was never too big into hunting. I think it can be a bit daunting simply because I have no idea where to start and no one to show me the ropes. I will be hunting some mountainous terrain (public land) if that makes a difference. I have multiple rifles and I am a pretty good shot so that won’t be too much of a factor. Like should I use game cams, what to look for when picking out potential stands etc. Anything and everything is appreciated, thanks!

Man, okay, you say you're "a pretty good shot."

The deer woods are full of bucks missed by fellas who are "a pretty good shot."

I've taken many hunters on their first deer hunt who are hell on paper, but miss easy, chip shots really, on bucks.

The rest of this stuff is academic, yeah go to the woods, do some scouting, yada, yada, yada.

My advice is simple - go to the range and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Shoot 'til your muscle memory and reflexes are seared into your unconscious mind and brain.

You say, "that won’t be too much of a factor," it's the number #1 factor, by far.

When it comes down to it, shooting ability is king, nothing else matters.