As Dr Frankenstein proclaiming of his Monster... "It's alive!" So too, proclaiming, this Thread! smile smile smile

Couple of comments. First some several months later, but I'd like to address the question above of "nimblehunter" from 04 April last. The low four digit serial number is neat! Quite early. The fact of the lack of the cloverleaf receiver configuration, suggests almost surely a major modification of some sort, factory or otherwise. Experienced members here & other forums can probably assist in terms of "repair markings" IF factory work. Considering your gun is in its sixties years of age, a lot of 'stuff' could have been done; factory and much more otherwise! AS presumed "not original", the value become condition, appearance & how it shoots!

More widely, addressing the Model 88 demise. These were nice rifles and they gave Winchester an 'era' break as the Model 70 was pricing itself out of the contemporary arms market in terms of production costs. My belief that the Model 88, as nifty as it was, also competed with the Winchester image in its classic lines. The popularity in terms of "a Winchester as competing with its traditional self! The fact of a really nice rifle in modern "bolt rifle" chambering territory, yet not to overcome the classic perspective. As can be seen from JMBI member's thread above, the Savage was already occupying that arena. In the classic arena, Winchester ruled the waves. Marlin's great rifles, were the honourable competition. Savage with its own chamberings; together a steady state universe. The Models 88 and 100, were disrupters! All the signs of the latter half of the twentieth century, increasingly that bolt rifles 'ruled'. Levers, other than the Win classics, increasingly marginalized. Their following, definitely. Just not in the buyer/market numbers.
We still have those Winchester/Browning spin off classics. Most of the others increasingly marfinalized to finally, quietly slipping away.
Just my take!
Best!
JOhn