Originally Posted by FC363
This is the same article I have that shows the load details of that cartridge. The whole point of its design was to get the stated velocities using stick powder at sane pressures. Ball powders that clumped up from the heat didn't make the cut. That same magazine has a section on the .458 WM that details the problem Jack Lott had with a cape buffalo that was shot by Wally Johnson, with dire results and led to the .450 G&A Short.

I have the original article by Jack Lott from 1959 when he wounded, gut shot, a cape buffalo with a soft,
and then his second shot with a RN FMJ "solid" went squirrely inside the buffalo.
Jack got tossed. Wally Johnson emptied his .375 H&H into the buffalo and finally picked up Jack's .458 WinMag,
off the ground where Jack dropped it while being tossed.
Wally killed the buffalo with a head shot from the .458 WinMag.
Jack continued happily hunting with the .458 WinMag for another decade,
as did Tom Siatos, creator of the .460 G&A.

Trumped-up charges against the .458 WinMag were like Democrap propaganda,
a false narrative to garner favor for new candidates, usurper pet cartridges with new pet names.
Not bad to have more choices, just bad in the lies told.

Take a gander at this reload data for the standard .458 WinMag allowed a COL and a MAP less than or equal to that of the .458 Lott:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Above is from a 24" barrel, Ruger factory No. 1 rifle made in 1980. Standard SAAMI chamber and barrel.
The H. P. White lab data for the .458 Winchester Magnum of late 1955 showed a 25" barrel easily did 2160 fps with 500-gr bullet
with non-compressed HiVel #2 powder, at 50,410 PSI, not CUP.

With my .450 Dakota the preferred load is a North Fork 450-grainer at 2450 fps.
I will grant that it is doing that at lower pressure than the .458 WinMag does.

.458 WM+ loads look like this, on right below,
compared to the 500/450 NE loads on the left, by member gunner500:

[Linked Image]

Jerry and I collaborated on developing .458 WM+ loads with the 500-gr Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid,
450-gr TSX
and 404-gr Shock Hammer.
He is getting ready now to take his .458 WM+ to Africa, as well as the 500/450 NE H&H Royal DR for nostalgic reasons.
His Tropical Loads for the .458 WM+ are:
500-gr TBSS at ~2300 fps
and
404-gr Shock Hammer at ~2500 fps.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.