Originally Posted by kandpand
Dwayne,

Yes, we are all well and the weather is hot, humid, and thundershowers expected but have appeared yet.
I hope that you and your family are doing well?

I am just now getting into 22lr rifles and maybe handguns. I started last year with a TC Contender Carbine with a 22lr match barrel from MGM. I also started squirrel hunting again.

I am wanting to test different ammo in each rifle to see which ammo shoots best. I am going to a public range and want to make the best use of the target and trips to the target.

I am seeing that this can be addictive. You have several nice rifles there. If time allows could you tell me the make and model of each? Also which is your favorite?

kandpand;
Good afternoon to you sir, thanks for the reply.

For sure both because it's less expensive than centerfire and also there's something "special" about shooting rimfires, it can be addictive.

I'd be happy to tell you about the ones in the photo sir.

Left rifle is a fairly odd Brno No 5 made in '58. They were made as training rifles for a few middle eastern countries which were getting Russian support back in that time. Most of them appear to have been sold surplus to Australia and New Zealand, so how that one got up here, I'm not sure. It was a gift from my wife years back and I stocked it myself a few years later.

The 2nd from left is a Lakefield Mk II which is the grandpa of the Savage rimfires we see today. Lakefield Arms was started in Lakefield ON in 1969 and this was bought used for me in about '72 or '73. It's like most of the stuff here in the safe, which is to say heavily modified and tweaked by me. The barrel was shortened, the stock reshaped and the walnut fore end tip and grip cap added, it's been bedded and the trigger's been worked over as well.

The 3rd from the left is a money pit early '80's 10/22. I built it to shoot a particular match we used to shoot at our club and ironically won the match with the Lakefield one year, but never with the money pit! laugh It's a Green Mountain barrel with a Bentz chamber, I added a recoil lug at the front so the lug and barrel are full contact and the action floats. It's had parts put into the trigger, firing pin and extractor as well as the hold open changed so pulling back on the charging handle releases it. Oh, it's got someone's Pic rail on it as well. Forget who made it just now though, sorry.

The 4th from the left is a Tikka T1X that's about the most stock one in the safe. I want to say the grip was changed, but that was a Tikka part. There's supposed to be a rail headed this way for it and if it arrives I'll install a Pic rail and change the rings.

The 5th from the left is an older pre-barrel warning 10/22 Deluxe that had very nice wood for that time period. It went away when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

The right hand one is a Cooey 75 single shot, which was made by Cooey up here in Canada as a training rifle during WWII. It had a bit of rot in the barrel and no stock, so it got bobbed off, then that's the first thumbhole stock I tried to build. They're a direct pull type trigger so it's smoothed up but not fantastic. The scope is an ancient El Paso T8. It actually shoots better than it should if given what it likes to eat. Certainly not as good as the Brno or Tikka, or even the Green Mountain in the 10/22, but not awful either.

As far as the favorite goes, that's a tough question so I'll say a tie between the Lakefield which I've had for 50 years or the Brno which as mentioned was a gift from my wife way back when it was pretty extravagant for us.

Thanks for the reply again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"