Bill:

Over the years, I've tried a variety of options. I own an OR Bivy sack without a hoop. I bought, tried out, and sent back a Eureka hoop type bivvy tent. But I think I have arrived at the conclusion that, if one is going to go minimalist, then the best option is a simple single-wall wedge dome, like this one.
Wedge Dome Tent

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

I have a funny story regarding when I used this type of tent. I had backpacked into Upper Sand Creek Lake in the Sangre De Cristos. I setup the tent on a little grassy knoll. It looked real inviting but had no trees or Bushes for wind protection. In the middle of the night, one of those infamous wind storms that frequent the Sangres, hit that little tent. For most of the night, the tent was pushed down onto my face by the wind. But the little tent popped right back up, in the morning, when the wind subsided. I don't own it any more. I wonder what happened to that little tent? It was cheap. Probably self destructed?

Last edited by KC; 07/12/22.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.