Firelapping a .22LR?

I've never done it, but the Dave Tubb "kit" only has enough cartridges to do 2 or 3 barrels.

Most .22's don't need the treatment, but just because a .22 might benefit from the process doesn't mean the barrel is bad or beyond saving.

The idea is to shoot no more than 10 or a dozen cartridges of differing grits trough said barrel. About 2 or 3 or 4 differing grits (like emory cloth or finer).

Was it me, I'd try shooting 2 or 3 cartridges of each grit through the barrel, running a moistened patch through it after each shot.

I dang sure wouldn't go hog-wild with 'em.

I agree shooting a couple bricks of ammo through the gun will do more than anything to clean up and smooth a bore. I also agree nearly every gun has a preference for one or two favorite flavors of ammo, and not necessarily the most expensive.

I've met countless shooters who had more good luck with 'Wally World' Federal bulk ammo, than any other .22LR brand or load!

Plus I know a fellow who owned a .17HMR NEF Sportster who needed to shoot (nearly) two bricks of ammo before the barrel settled down and broke in! A very tedious and "expensive" process, but he was happy afterward.

All of Tubb's 'kits' or bullets are designed to be fired at low (subsonic-like) velocities, usually no more than 5rds of each grit - if not less.

Brownell's sells both.