Originally Posted by Starbuck
I run mostly Carlton chain from Bailey's. I sharpen with a Grandberg. Works awesome. Can't say enough good about the system. Chain comes out sharper than new and cuts straight as can be. I use a purpose built powered grinder if some major material needs to be removed, but try to stick with a file most of the time.

As far as full comp chain, as BWalker pointed out, it largely depends on the hardness and cleanliness of the wood you're cutting. For logs that have been dragged through some mud or gravel before you're cutting them, I generally like full comp as there's more teeth to stay sharp after others have been dulled by ground and small stones.

Similarly, proper raker hight is best defined by how hard the wood is that you're cutting.

For 2 stroke oil I've pretty well switched over to Husqvarna premium. Ran gallons of Stihl for many years, but am really turned off by the smell and aftertaste. It might well be the best oil as far as protection goes, but it really hangs on a guy's clothes for a long time. And it seems to plug spark arresters quicker than other oils. Have a friend who's an engineer for Mercury Marine, and he claims thier multipurpose 2 stroke oil is very high quality and low smoke. Going to run a few tanks if it.
You brought up dirty wood and I forgot about that. When I have to cut logs that have been skidded or are muddy I would use a loop of Stihl RM semi chisel chain. It cuts a bit slower than RS chisel but will stay sharp a bit longer.
Thankfully I have the ability to be a firewood snob now and don't have to cut dirty wood.