Been on a mission for smallies all summer. I live in a watershed known for lots of them, and work near a trib with big ones. Last night I had some time so I hiked into a favorite spot to see what I could do.

Along the way I’ve been hoping for some northern but before last night hadn’t caught any, although I’d “guided” my son in law and his buddy each to one.

On my way into the dam I caught a few dinks on a Mepps but when I got to the deeper water I switched to a two-bladed half-ounce spinner bait to take full advantage.

I knew where they ought to be, and just a few casts in I hooked a smallish northern and got a couple pics. He was feisty as they always are and fought very well. Awesome fish these toothy torpedoes are!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I was pretty excited to have heard my drag sing the way it did so I turned toward an area where I’d lost a few (YES! 3x!! frown ) big smallies the previous time I was there. I’ve got their location dialed in… they’re hanging in deepest water right where the dam releases hence the effectiveness of the ned rig & my need to “bottom bounce”.

Maybe third cast I hooked my personal best smallie. I was by myself and had lost some LUNKERS in that exact spot last time so I was REALLY excited… hootin and hollering all by myself, talking to the fish first begging him to stay on then thanking him for an awesome fight… then cursing myself for forgetting to put one of my two tape measures back in my tackle bag after I’d laid it all out to dry… so I quickly took pics with the fish near my pole for reference. I’ll compare lengths to try and get an estimate when I have time:

After the excitement of catching that pig I went back to “the northern zone” and pretty quickly caught a little but rather exuberant northern. I’m pretty sure he’d have been a keeper (24”) so he was bigger than what I’d call a “hammer handle” and he jumped and flipped all over.

Funny cuz as I approached the dam all I’d caught was dinks and I thought, “man I wish ida brought my light weight pole to make this more fun…”

Sure reminded me of how hunting and fishing, as with most things in life, are best shared with friends and family. It’s satisfying just having done it but man to have had a friend with me to share that really woulda been the icing on the cake.

I hope everyone has a great summer!!!