What's actual inflation rate calculating in true cost of living? Well over 20 per cent. How many years since it has been that high?

Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by antlers
If it goes down 30 to 40 percent, I’m gonna be jumpin’ in significantly. If it goes down “in Biblical proportions”, I’m gonna be jumpin’ in significantly. When it went down to 18K and some change in the first quarter of 2020, I jumped in significantly, and I’m very glad that I did.

My buddies were bailin’ out big time by sellin’ out in the first quarter of 2020; they hadn’t lost a single share, but they got scared when they looked at the dollar amount. They ended up gettin’ the livin’ schit kicked out of em’.

If they’d just left their stuff alone, they woulda been in WAY better shape later on. If they’d jumped in some more during that time, they woulda been in WAY better shape later on.

The S&P was up by the end of 2020 so there would been pretty good odds they would have made money not trying to time it and just left it alone. The S&P is down a little over 15% YTD. Taking it down another 30% to 40% this year would put it down as much as it was over all during '08 and '09. Basically it would be far worse than any single year market going back to 1945.