Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Yeah, tough job, but somebody’s got to do it.

Did my bit this morning, and confirmed that even with a tilted rail, my Tract 1” hunting scope doesn’t have enough clicks for dialing so I can hold right on at 200. Looks like the SS 10x is going back on.

Don’t tell Stick…………
That SWFA SS is a great scope.

Was out yesterday morning working up some '06 cast bullet loads and plinking with a Tikka T1x in between strings. It wears a SS 10x mil/mil sighted dead on at 100 yards.

The range has a 6" disc at 200; I had previously worked up a ballistics chart to 200 yards which showed a 4.3 mil come up at 200. So instead of twisting the dial I just held halfway between the 4 and 4.5 mil hash marks - ping ping ping ping ping, five out of five. wink

Love those 10x mil/mil scopes, especially when SWFA has them on sale, and have purchased six of them over the last couple of years - two for my "serious" .22 rifles and the other four on various long range centerfire rigs.

Back to the thread topic. I was using CCI AR Tactical ammo which throws a a 40 grain bullet right at 1200 fps (1198 avg on the Oehler 35). The bullets surely go subsonic over 200 yards but apparently transiting the sound barrier didn't disturb them enough to miss a 3 MOA target. Not trying to argue or counter the finer points of ballistic theory here but I guess you gotta match your target to your expectations.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
saying 'hmmmmm' as I grab a handful of mixed .22 LR from a jug before going out to shoot..................

And those posts illustrate so much.

Couple weeks ago a daughter and I were out shooting 22 at clay birds.
25-50 yards with MKIIs or her American Rim fire with some cheap 4x
scope I picked up. She was working on her offhand and trying to get
shots off quicker.

There is a metal swinger at 200 in a lane through the trees,
Just for hits and giggles I sat at a bench, rested my elbows,
took a SWAG that the junction of the duplex hairs was about right
for elevation. DING! First round. Using Golden Bullets from a bucket.
Emma had to try, and after she understood the post as the aiming point,
Was ringing it at will.

One of those things that shouldn't be.
But it is. And way too easy!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!