Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Okay, not to be Debbie Downer but I see two problems. First, it would be entirely useless in any sort of near peer fight and lots of fights against well equipped goat herders because it is so slow as to be dead meat with almost any sort of AA. Second, better hope the enemy is close because if the fight is very far from the airfield, it will be over by the time that thing gets there.

Other than that, it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

And you missed completely on both counts.

It's just not intended to fight against other aircraft or against any kind of anti aircraft capability. It's essentially an assist to ground forces working against insurgent/CI or militia forces.

And as for being late for the fight, special ops doesn't work that way. They never fight fair, or re-actively.
If a mission is laid on, they'll plan for air assets to be in place, likely just over the horizon, before the insertion of ground forces takes place. The crew of the CAS aircraft will be on station, fully aware of the environment and what awaits the ground forces probably before the ground forces board the bus to the LZ. And yeah... ISR capability is valued more than weapons in most cases.
It's one of the prime reasons for concern about loiter time capability.

In my opinion, The weapons on board this aircraft are not even designed for real combat. They're designed to smooth the way to the XP in the event of a contested extraction

As I said, there is nowhere from here on out where there won’t be anti-air capability. We just sent enough manpads to the Ukraine to keep the goat herder insurgent market supplied for the next twenty years.

And the aircraft is already on station before the ground forces even board the bus, I guess all the goat herders will know where to congregate and what is coming.

Even goat herders these days have smart phones and access to technology that would have been Buck Rogers stuff as little as fifteen years ago.

It’s just a boondoggle that no one will want to fly nor buy.