Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I have a pretty good stack of boxes of Remington Core Lokt 130 grains. Or I may give my Ruger 77 6.5x55 Swedish a go. Haven't killed anything with that yet.

I'm not sure what your woods are like, but where I hunt, you can barely see 50 or 75 yards until the leaves fall. My problem has always been that the damn coyotes are running through the woods and they're on top of you before you know it. Whenever I'm using a scoped rifle, I have a hard time getting on the target. I'd be using a 12ga with #2 or #4 shot in a 3" magnum. It would be like shooting a big rabbit as they haul azz by you.

I'll be hunting on state forest land. The bottom lands are standing hardwood forests. The upland woods are new growth pine, some very thick. And some is clear cut with very young pines and scrub. Visibility ranges from a few yards in the pines to several hundred yards in the clear cuts. There is some rolling terrain.

I may use a shotgun. Rifle (larger than .22) hunting in easterm Virginia is limited, but coyotoes in this county are a notable exception. This will give me a chance to hunt more with a centerfire rifle. May tuirn out that a shotgun will be better and if so I'll do that. But I'm going to use a rifle first, if only because I can.