Originally Posted by McCray
I was never real happy with the x-cut method and made a long, small diameter hole punch to cut a small (about 1/8") round hole for the screw to pass through. Stick it through from the back of the pad, one tap with a hammer and done!

To me, two small round holes look better than the x-cut especially after the screws have been in and out a few times.

I like that idea! I too have always been bothered by the X cut and its raggedy-ness after the pad's been off and on a few times. For screw lube I too have used vaseline and/or dishwashing liquid - didn't seem to matter much which one was used.

I swear the next one I install I'm gonna epoxy it on as long as there's no through bolt to contend with. Let the next poor SOB worry with refinishing the stock with it on, I won't be around to care. Kidding, of course, but I have thought about it. (And that is indeed a royal PIA. I refinished/checkered a Weatherby Vanguard stock for a buddy here on the fire whose pad was epoxied on, whether by the factory or by a previous owner, and it wasn't fun.)

As far as diluting finishing oil with solvents, that's an old wive's tale too. The solvent doesn't carry the oil with it any deeper into the wood than the oil itself is prepared to go. That's been proven enough times by people smarter than me about this stuff. All it does is makes for more applications necessary in the finishing protocols.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty