Looks like the feds figured out they weren't fascisting hard enough. What they can't get through parliament fast enough with their NDP lapdogs, they'll impose by fiat.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/canada-to-temporarily-ban-import-of-handguns

"“Given that nearly all our handguns are imported, this means that we’re bringing our national handgun freeze even sooner,” Mendicino said. “From that moment forward, the number of handguns in Canada will only go down.” (wishful thinking)

"Government trade data shows Canada imported $26.4 million worth of pistols and revolvers between January and June — a 52% increase compared to the same period last year."

I'll bet 90% of that increase has been since their May announcement of their ban.

Handgun transfers used to take less than 2 weeks, often just a few days. I'm now on week 6 of the wait for 2 transfers I initiated in June and I'm sure the backlog is only getting longer.

This move by the gov't 1. stops the run on handguns they created and 2. relieves the pressure on the Chief Firearms Office from the backlog. I wonder what they'll do with all that staff once they've established their utopia.