Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by pointer
Hope the recovery is swift and fruitful!

Regarding when to seed, grass is best seeded in the fall/winter in most places. For a pasture, I'd sure not disk it. At most, scratch it up a bit and broadcast the seed. A cultipacker wouldn't hurt, but not needed. Freeze/thaw/weather should get the seed to the soil surface. If you have cheap/easy access to a drill, I'd use it, but I'd not worry about it. If plenty perennial grass species, I'd not be afraid to use some wheat/cereal rye/etc as a cover crop, especially if you'll need to use it sooner rather than later.

I guess different areas do different things.

Most hay farmers disk their hay fields at least every two years here, and some disc every year. They apply fertilizer after discing and drag it to cover and smooth.

Did a 12.5 acre hay field last year, and disced it hard, harrowed, fertilized and overseeded, and a couple months later he got 4 bales to the acre putting up hay.

Lots depends on rainfall too.
FWIW, I'd treat a hayfield different than I would a pasture, especially a small pasture. Different goals and uses. Still not sure I'd disk and for sure wouldn't disk every 2 years, at least not long term. Too harmful (and anymore expensive) to soil building/health which can be a great hedge against things like drought. Hardly anyone around here grows hay on "good" ground. Most hay operations around here are on ground generally too hard/erosive to effectively raise corn/soybeans on.

Farming is done "right" a million different ways and those ways differ from area to area.