My son bought a beautiful new Henry 45-70 and I am reloading for it. He and I sighted it in with factory ammo (Hornady LR) at 75 yards and noticed that shots would alternate between 1" high above the bull, and 3" low and right. The weird thing is that each individual group is touching each other, just 4" apart. I figured it was just the factory ammo. I switched to my handloads using 300gr Hornady HP and either H322 or AA2230. I worked up the loads to about midway from starting loads to maximum and then loaded a bunch to get some good practice rounds. These rounds were very similar to the factory ammo. I had two separate groups. It happened for both of us. I checked the scope and mounts and both were tight. The scope is a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x in Talley one piece mounts.

Am I doing something wrong since this is my first extensive use of a lever action? I shoot my bolt actions regularly along with a pump as well. I have never had grouping issues like this. I have an older Sightron scope I could put on it to see if it is the scope. Any ideas what it could be???

Last edited by himmelrr; 08/05/22.