Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
...a 40 year old boat in the midwest equates approximately to a 10 year old car!
...our boat...I keep it on a lift with a full canopy...

Ed--if a boat is kept for 40 years, under a cover, on a lift, the way you keep yours, perhaps you might find 1 that equates to a 10-year old car (I doubt it). But most 40-year old boats are ready for a complete refit. Hoses will be stiff--some even cracking; same with rubber pump impellers and seals. Instruments will be far beyond obsolete, if even still functional. Anything with a wire on it will likely have some signs of corrosion. 40-year old upholstery will surely need some kind of attention; same with canvas covers. Etc.

Not saying they're all projects, just that one should be realistic about expectations.

I understand that.

My point is, none of us really know how bad it is .......or how good.
Hoses, belts, impellers, etc are not expensive or hard to replace. They are generally a given when redoing any boat.
So, if a guy gets a boat on a trailer for free and can have a nice dependable boat for some sweat equity and $2-3,000.00 it certainly sounds worthwhile to me.
Unless, I missed something none of us has even seen a picture of the boat.
I did mention the interior in my post. I'm currently in the process of restoring a 1973 Rayson Craft and the interior is going to be almost 3 grand alone to replace. Most everything else we can do ourselves. Even the belts and hoses!

I've also seen boats 4-5 years old even I wouldn't take for free!