Originally Posted by texas_hawg
So I’ve gotten the bad news that shoulder surgery is happening and will be in mid September. Torn rotator cuff and bone spur to be fixed. Right shoulder and i shoot right handed. I figure duck hunting for this year is done but wondering if I can be ready for Missouri rifle season in November. Doc said he wouldn’t advise shooting until late November, which deer season would be over. Got a couple nice bucks on camera and if I’m not in my stand my brother or brother in law will shoot them. LOL

So the question is for those who have had shoulder surgery. Is it likely I can be shooting in November. Usually use 6.5 creedmoor but thinking about going to .223 and 70ish grain bullet.

Thoughts from the experts?

Was in same boat as you but hurt mine being a former pitcher and lost my shot with the Dodgers due to it. I shot a A-bolt II Medallion 7 mag with the CR Boss (not loud but all thump) with no problem since 1996 up until 3 years ago when I started having issues. It wouldn't hurt while shooting, but if i spent extensive time at the range, it would ache later that evening. So I went to a Tikka T3 308, added a limbsaver and no more issues. I also had a 20" Rem 700 308 that was custom built on the 700 action but was a little heavy, but virtually no kick. So you could get a slightly heavier setup to help with recoil as well.

But as others said, you should be fine after surgery. In my case I'm 50 and it started to catch up with me.